Ammonia (NH3) is normally available in cylinders and drums, although we can provide it in semi-bulk in some markets.
Packaged ammonia is used by a variety of industries for a wide range of applications. Typically this includes:
- Chemicals: Neutralising acid constituents of crude oil during the refining process.
- Power & Energy: Purification of smoke gas in coal fired or oil fired power plants. With the presence of ammonia in a reactor the nitrogen oxides are converted into nitrogen and water while passing the reactor. In combination with chlorine, ammonia is also used for water purification.
- Food & Beverage: As a source of hydrogen for hydrogenation of oils and fats.
- Mining & Metallurgy: Extraction of copper, nickel and molybdenum from their ores. Also used as a protective atmosphere for metal heat treatment. For this process ammonia is 'cracked' in a furnace to produce a reducing atmosphere of hydrogen and nitrogen.
- Pharma & Biotechnology: Ammonia is used as a processing agent in the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals.
- Pulp & Paper: Substitute for calcium in the pulping of wood.
- Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning: A natural refrigerant, often used in large industrial refrigeration systems.
- Rubber & Plastics: Ammonia is used in the rubber industry for stabilisation of raw latex to prevent coagulation during transportation and storage.
- Electronics: High purity ammonia is used for electronic and semiconductor applications.